How to apply to register a tartan
To apply to register a tartan, you need to have designed a unique tartan for which you must provide a threadcount, an image and a proposed tartan name. We strongly advise you to submit an application to register your tartan before having it woven to ensure it meets the criteria for registration.
Criteria for registration
The Scottish Register of Tartans Act has established clear criteria for the inclusion of a tartan in the Register:
a new tartan must meet the definition of tartan contained in the Scottish Register of Tartans Act (2008)
it must be a new design, unique to the Register, and
there must be a clear link between the person registering the tartan and the proposed tartan name.
The application for registration fee of £70 (exempt from VAT) must accompany your application. This fee is non-refundable. Please see Fees for full details of the registration fee, other charges and methods of payment.
The following guidance summarises the application process. For more detail, please use the links at the foot of the page.
1. You need to set up a free user account with the Register, Sign Up. You will need to provide a user name and contact details, including a unique email address, nominate a security question, and set a password.
2. Once you have logged into your user account, Log In, you will be able to access the online application form. Alternatively you can print a copy of the application form. You can also open and print guidance notes to assist you in completing the form, and open and print a list of the colour codes which SRT Administrators will use to generate the image of your tartan which will appear on the Register.
3. Complete the application form as fully as possible – see further details on the information required below. You must provide a threadcount for, and image of, your tartan, and a proposed tartan name.
4. You will need to attach an electronic image of your tartan to the application. If you do not have an electronic image of your tartan, you will need to print the application form and submit it by post with a photograph or woven sample of the tartan, and the registration fee.
5. It is essential to have appropriate authority for the proposed name of your tartan and you will need to attach evidence of this authority to the application form - see further details on the authority required below.
6. Once you have completed the application form you will be automatically re-directed to Worldpay to make payment of the non-refundable application for registration fee. Please ensure that having entered your card details and made payment of the registration fee, that you return to the application process to finally submit your application.
7. After payment has been successfully completed, your application will be automatically submitted to the Register. It will be assessed against the criteria for registration set out in the Scottish Register of Tartans Act 2008.
8. Please allow four weeks for your application to be processed.
9. If Tartan Register staff have any queries about your application, they will contact you by phone or email.
10. If your tartan meets the criteria for registration then it will be included on the Register and a certificate of registration will be sent out to you.
11. If your tartan does not meet the criteria for registration we will write to you to confirm your application has been refused detailing the reason for refusal. You may request your application is reconsidered by writing to the Keeper within 2 months of the date of the letter accompanied by the appropriate fee.
For detailed guidance on the different elements of the application, please use the appropriate links below.
Unique or ‘sufficiently different’ designs
About your tartan: designer, date and rationale (background information)
Image and woven samples
Copyright and design right
Authority to register and indemnity
Once you are ready, please proceed to apply to register your tartan.